Hawthorne’s History

For almost 60 years, Hawthorne has been part of the Edwardsville/Glen Carbon communities.  From our start in “Doc” Ottwein’s garage to our state-of-the-art building, we have grown and developed to meet the growing needs of our clients and the emerging technologies of veterinary medicine. 

old building     remodeloutside of building

1956 Dr. Merril Ottwein began practice

1959 Original building on Route 159 opened, over the years there were 4 additions to the original building

1962 Dr. Joe Helms joins the practice 

1964 Dr. Art Lippoldt joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

helms

Dr. Joe Helms

lippoldt

Dr. Art Lippoldt

 

1968 Dr. Ottwein retires from veterinary practice

1971 Dr. Philip McKinney joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

1989 Dr. Paul Myer joined practice

1997 Dr. Myer becomes partner

1998 Dr. Helms retires from Hawthorne

DVMs

Drs. Lippoldt, Myer & McKinney

2000 Dr. Jennifer Davis joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

2000 Dr. Lippoldt retires from Hawthorne

2000 Drs. McKinney & Myer become ownership partners

1999 Original location remodeled

2000 Our Troy facility opens

troy at opening

Troy location

2004 Dr. Nathan Jurgena joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

2004 Dr. Tia Simms joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

2006 Hawthorne took ownership of Countryside Pet Clinic in Greenville

slide-Countryside

Greenville location

2009 Countryside Pet Clinic opens the Vandalia location

vandalia

Vandalia location

2009 Dr. Ellen Helmers joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

2012 Dr. Brent Leh joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

2014 Dr. Brittni Davis joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

2014 Dr. Veronica Schwartz joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

2015 Dr. Amber Spaur joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian

2016 Dr. Jessica Wiehrdt joins Hawthorne as an associate veterinarian